Housekeeping / Cleaning
We are looking for people to fill this position immediately during the upcoming shoulder season.
The GO•REC campground host represents GO•REC and serves as a steward of the land and facilities while helping visitors have as safe and enjoyable a visit as possible.
Campground Host’s primary duties will include:
- Rental hospitality and guest services, greeting and registering guests in and out for their reservations, accepting and processing payments, ensuring housekeeping, stocking supplies, etc.;
- Inform and remind GO•REC visitors about opportunities, regulations, and best practices for activities such as Leave No Trace, camping, kayaking/canoeing, hiking, backpacking, mountain biking, fishing, climbing/ropework, etc.; and….
- Maintain personal campsite in accordance with GO•REC regulations and outdoor industry standards as an educational opportunity for visitors.
- In addition to or as part of these primary duties, volunteer may:
- Support content publishing over digital platforms such as Instagram, TikTok, etc. and Display educational and marketing materials such as flyers, posters, signage and billboards;
- Manage calendar scheduling and reservations through Google Calendar, CheckFront, and online reservation systems like Hipcamp, VRBO, etc.;
- Inspect, maintain, and repair building structure and outdoor spaces as skills allow, such as stocking and/or cleaning pit toilets/restrooms as needed, keeping campground and property clean and free of litter, reporting any needs to GO•REC staff;
- Occasionally assist visitors after hours;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Favorable background investigation.
- Knowledge/skills in outdoor recreation or natural sciences are beneficial.
- CPR/AED training
- Prior experience in hosting a campground.
- Natural ability for customer service and conflict resolution.
- Valid driver’s license with no negative incidents.
- Computer skills using Google Apps Suite and the Internet.
- Ability to work in collaboration with diverse groups of people.
- Skills in carpentry, electrical, plumbing and general automotive/mechanical areas, innovative thinking, and sound judgment to apply to structural facility maintenance, environmental/conservation management, and outdoor activities.
- Dates available between April 1 and September 7, 2022
For part time work (25 hours total for a couple, or 10-15 hours for one person, evening and weekends with scheduled days off) the campsite itself is the compensation, no additional pay. For full time work, (40 hours, two days a week off, between Monday and Thursday) compensation is the campsite plus a monthly retainer.
Free Tear-Drop, Van, Tent Site Only Campsite (WiFi, Water & Electric Hookups, No Sewer). Pets OK. Host(s) also have the opportunity to participate in training/professional development at subsidized cost, depending upon strategic need, budget capacity, and availability. If onsite, free housing may be available.
SCHEDULE & WORKING CONDITIONS
Contractor is expected to work whatever hours necessary to deliver this project, schedule and work-from-home arrangements agreed to in writing with the GO•REC Director. Due to the nature of the project, the individual’s particular schedule will vary. Individual may at times be asked to work early mornings, evenings, or other irregular hours, to spend time onsite overnight for purposes of availability as needed, and may occasionally be asked to travel.
Position will require frequent remote digital work, including Zoom staff meetings as well as work in and out of the Welcome Center office. May also include the following: buildings, grounds, woods, waterfronts, areas at height, areas at night, and various areas available to GO•REC. Duties will include answering phones, typing, copying, filing, digital communications. Employee must be able to perform the essential functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
Email current resume with appropriate social profiles and portfolio to email@example.com
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Candidates who can demonstrate they meet qualifications are encouraged to apply as soon as possible for dates between April 1 and September 7, 2022.
Our purpose is to get outside & learn how to thrive. GO•REC offers a wide array of leadership and outdoor recreation trainings and classes. An innovative team of outdoor professionals instruct industry best practices in mountain biking, climbing, paddling, wilderness medicine, and backcountry skills.
Hike, ski, bike, fish, swim, and kayak 498 acres of mixed canopy woodland and inland lakeshore 10 minutes outside Traverse City, an hour from Sleeping Bear Dunes and Gaylord.
We are committed to equitable access to outdoor recreation. Plans include having the property open for public recreation. People will be allowed to come for the day to hike, bike or ski our trails, play disc golf, kayak on the lake.
Our campground includes 6 cabins, 6 mini-cabins, 4 Adirondack shelters, and 58 tent camping sites, including Tentsile tents. No campsite sewage hookups. We do have an electrical peg and water options. Event spaces include pavilions, two lodges, and two amphitheaters. Overnight guests can add classes in outdoor recreation: everything from map and compass to Leave No Trace Awareness.
We’re an outdoor recreation and education destination. We aspire to be diverse, equitable, inclusive, and responsible.