ADDRESS: Rend Lake; 11981 Rend City Road; Benton, Illinois 62812-9803
DEPT: U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
DATES: 6/20/2022 – 11/14/2022
Rend Lake, located in Benton, IL is seeking individuals or couples to fill one Campground Host position for South Marcum Campground for the 2022 recreation season.
Rend Lake is seeking individuals or couples to fill one Campground Host position for South Marcum Campground for the 2022 recreation season beginning June 20th and ending November 7th. Hosts must provide their own RV/Travel Trailer and reside on a designated campsite inside their assigned campground for the duration of the season. Site amenities include water, sewer, and electric. Internet access is available at the Rend Lake Visitor Center less than 5 min. drive away.
To provide optimum coverage and host services to guests, hosts are expected to stay on-site as much as possible. The Volunteer Coordinator will identify days and hours when availability is critical including Friday afternoons, weekends, and holidays. It is expected that hosts will work approximately 32 hours per week. However, it is understandable that hosts may need to leave from time to time to take care of personal business. For extended absences, the host will coordinate with the Volunteer Coordinator. For more information see duties in the DUTIES section.
1. Wear issued volunteer clothing.
2. Answer visitor questions regarding recreation opportunities.
3. Conduct checks of campsites, playgrounds, and facilities for cleanliness and safety and perform light general maintenance as needed.
4. Explain reservation procedures to campers.
5. Open River Road gates by 8 a.m. daily from 4/1/22 through 10/31/22.
6. Perform basic diagnosis and maintenance of issues with amenities (water, electric, plumbing, etc). Report maintenance deficiencies to the on duty ranger.
7. Assist with promoting and assisting Rangers with interpretive programs.
8. Inform visitors of park rules, regulations, and policies.
9. Collect comment cards and surveys.
10. Relay complaints, compliance issues, overcrowding, and maintenance actions to Park Ranger staff.
11. Promote water safety by assisting with the life jacket loaner program.
12. Assist campers with after-hours assistance when the gatehouse is closed.
13. Assist Rangers and first responders with emergency actions such as traffic control.
14. Assist Campground Attendants with requests such as checking campsites for vacancy.
15. Report administratively to the Volunteer Coordinator.
1. Prior camping experience.
2. Prior experience with customer service.
3. Ability to sit or stand for significant periods of time.
4. Friendly, cheerful, organized, and professional manner.
5. Basic administrative skills.
6. Basic maintenance skills.
7. Physical ability to lift approximately 30 pounds and carry for 25 feet.
8. Desire to meet and interact with people from varied backgrounds.
9. Appearance should be neat and reflect positively on the Corps.
10. Ability to remain calm in busy situations.
11. Visually able to spot safety hazards and take prompt appropriate action to correct in accordance with training provided
Hand Power Tools
Working with People
Hosts will work both independently and with USACE staff, volunteers, and contractors. Work will be primarily outdoors and will involve frequent interactions with adults and children. Climbing stairs/steps may be required on occasions as some campsites have multiple levels.
Free full hookups (water, sewer, and electric) provided in exchange for 20 hours service per week.
The lake is located within a 15–20-minute drive of restaurants, grocery stores, retail stores, and auto repair shops, entertainment venues, and medical facilities. The average high temperature occurs in July (90° F) and the average low occurs in January (21° F). On average, Rend Lake has 210 sunny days and gets 41.1 inches of rain per year.
Slip, trip, and fall hazards
BACKGROUND/REFERENCE CHECK REQUIRED