Visitor Experience Specialist
POSITION OVERVIEW: VISITOR EXPERIENCE SPECIALIST LEVEL I
The Visitor Experience Specialist (VES) Level I position is an entry-level position in GCC’s Retail Department and reports to the GCC Store Manager. The primary purpose of this position is to ensure that every visitor receives world-class service in GCC Retail Stores; to proactively sell products; and to recruit GCC Supporters. The GCC Retail Stores are open every day of the year (including holidays) and hours vary from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Our summer season runs April through October. Our winter season runs October to April.
- Act as an ambassador for Grand Canyon and Grand Canyon Conservancy by proactively greeting visitors, answering questions, and graciously providing information about the Park and GCC
- Develop and maintain a broad knowledge of GCC products and proactively assist visitors with product selection and purchases with the goals of upselling whenever possible
- Foster stewardship and inspire support for Grand Canyon by informing each visitor of GCC’s supporter and donation programs, and make it compelling and simple for them to become a supporter and donor
- Meet or exceed sales and supporter recruitment goals
- Ensure retail floor is fully stocked, all store areas including the break-room and offices are clean, and products are merchandised according to GCC guidelines and specifications
- Assist store management in ensuring register transactions are processed efficiently
- Accurately process sales using a computerized cash register system; reconcile cash drawer
- Follow GCC Retail Guidelines for maintaining professional and respectful communication with visitors, NPS, colleagues, vendors, etc.
- Support management in maintaining a high level of morale by helping to foster a positive workplace environment
- Attend NPS Ranger tours and GCC training programs when possible
- Explain Grand Canyon National Park Junior Ranger program to visitors and swear in Junior Rangers who have completed the requirements
- Standing for long periods, up to eight hours each day
- Frequent, extended periods of repetitive hand motion required by operation of a computerized cash register system
- Reaching and bending while cleaning and stocking
- Lifting book boxes weighing as much as 40 lbs.; pushing carts of product weighing up to 100 lbs.
- Moving stock on hand trucks weighing up to 100 lbs. From delivery vans, in some cases over rough surfaces, stairs, or inclines, and through varying weather conditions
- Ability to work at elevations more than 7,000-9,000 feet above sea level
- Walking to restroom facilities located in buildings other than the Park Store
This is a Seasonal, non-benefit eligible, non-exempt position. The starting wage for this position is 13.06 per hour. An RV is required for this position as housing is unavailable; full hook-up sites are available. The RV site rent is $50.00 per month.
• 1-year customer service/retail experience
• 1-year cash handling experience
• Willingness to work a flexible schedule based on business needs, including evenings, weekends, and holidays in any of GCC’s Park Stores
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS, AND CHARACTERISTICS
• Passion for Grand Canyon National Park and the mission of GCC
• Enthusiasm for driving sales and recruiting supporters
• Ability and desire to consistently provide outstanding visitor service
• Ability to work as a team player in a fast-paced environment
• Ability to exercise good judgment
• Ability and desire to effectively interact with visitors and colleagues, demonstrate enthusiasm and maintain a positive attitude
• Working knowledge of, or ability to learn a computerized cash register and payroll system.
• The ability to promote and maintain a positive work environment